Friday, April 29, 2005

A Two River Day

DATE: Friday, 4/29/2005
TIME: 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
WEATHER: Mid-60s, mostly cloudy
WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units on the Norfork; 1 unit on the White
LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, top of 2nd island above Ackerman/Handicap Access on the Norfork River; upper riffle at Rim Shoals
HATCH: Small tan caddis, large olive caddis, and a #26 beige midge
ROD USED: Unknown
FLIES USED: #14 furnace cockleburr, #16 bead head pheasant tail, #14 wine San Juan worm
OTHER: I fished with Wayne. On the Norfork, I had 2 hits on the bead head pheasant tail, but could not get a hook set. I had a ferocious hit on the furnace cockleburr, with the fish coming almost all the way out of the water. I caught a nice 14-inch cutbow, but missed another fish on a ferocious hit on the cockleburr. Water started rising very fast after only 45 minutes. We went immediately to Rim Shoals, and the water was still high, and rising. I did not catch anything, and only fished about 15 minutes. Birds were flying high above both the Norfork and Rim Shoals, chasing caddis. With any luck, we'll have low water tomorrow and can get in a caddis hatch. Water was down Tuesday afternoon, but Kay and I had other plans so I could not go. Wayne said that the caddis hatch was awesome, and the fish were rising to the hatch. Oh well, one can't win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment