Saturday, July 30, 2005

A Large Rainbow and No Picture

DATE: Saturday, 7/30/2005

TIME: 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM

WEATHER: Mid-80s to low 90s, partly cloudy

WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units

LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, McClellan’s downstream of Otter Creek

HATCH: None

ROD USED: Winston 7- 9” 2-weight LT

FLIES USED: #20 DunnZDun, #14 flying ant, #16 copper Norfork River scud

OTHER: I fished with Kay, and Ron and Ginger. Fish were rising along a leaf line at Ace in the Hole. I managed to take one fish on a DunnZDun, and then switched to a flying ant. I took the largest rainbow of my life. It smashed the ant on second cast (missed a fish on first cast). I was sure to lose the fish with 2-weight rod and 7X tippet. I fought the tagged fish to hand, unhooked it, and thought it was about to die. I did not get a photo or measurement because I was handling the fish very carefully to prevent it from expiring; it fought a great fight and I did not want to mishandle it. Anyway, the fish recovered without measurement or photo. I am guessing it to be 23+ inches. It had a huge girth. I did catch several more fish, including another with a tag, with the copper scud fished below strike indicator. Ron also took several fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment