Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Lazy Float and Fishing

DATE: Tuesday, 8/9/2005

TIME: 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM

WEATHER: Low to mid-90s, partly cloudy

WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units

LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, Quarry Park downstream to top of 2nd island above Ackerman/Handicap Access

HATCH: None

ROD USED: Winston 10’ 4-weight WT

FLIES USED: #14 tan Norfork River scud

OTHER: I fished with Wayne. Kay shuttled us to the Quarry Park and we used kick boats to drift downstream to Wayne's. I didn't begin fishing until just below Gene's Trout Dock in the Resort Hole because of crowded river. I fished a #14 tan scud about 4 feet below a strike indicator using 7X Orvis flourocarbon tippet, with no weight except the weighted fly. At the private docks in the lower part of the Resort Hole, I caught 8 fish slowly dead drifting the scud slightly on river right. At the riffle at the tail end of the Resort Hole, I waded and caught several fish. I continued drifting to the Long Hole and again caught several fish. Fish caught were mostly rainbows with a couple of cutthroat's thrown in. No fish were caught of any significant size (above 15 inches). Generation started and I began rowing to exit the river. I continued to catch fish downstream of McClellan's. All fish were caught with the same setup, and the same fly. It was a delightful day. I wish I had wet waded because of the heat. Also of note, I had forgotten how much fun it was to fish the 10’ 4-weight Winston WT.

As usual, Wayne caught lots of fish, and had two very nice brown trout (one 20 inches). He's still the best fisher on the river, day in, day out. I find myself fishing more and more like him. Now, if I could only catch fish like him!

No comments:

Post a Comment