Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

DATE: Tuesday, March 28, 2006

TIME: 10:30 AM to 4:30 PM

WEATHER: Mid 50s, partly cloudy, wind 5-15 mph

WATER CONDITIONS: 0 Units (no generation prior 4 days)

LOCATIONS FISHED: White River, Rim Shoals

HATCH: Some midges, what I believe was a Light Cahill or something similar, 3 sizes of caddis flies (one was small, #18, gray with gray mottled wings; another was larger, #14, olive with near white wings; and the third was #16 tan).

ROD USED: Winston 8’ 6” 5-weight WT Joan Wulff Favorite

FLIES USED: #16 bead head flashback pheasant tail, #18 olive elk hair caddis

OTHER: Ed and I began fishing at the upper riffle. I used a #16 bead head flashback pheasant tail and caught several fish, then noted fish rising (two to my strike indicator). I switched to a caddis and began to catch fish on the dry fly, about 9:30 AM. I fished caddis the rest of day and had one of those particularly wonderful days, catching fish almost every cast on dry flies. None of the fish were large, but several were in the 16-inch class, and were the heaviest fish, as a group, I've ever caught on the White River. We quit before the hatch was over, as we were too tired to finish the hatch. I literally wore out several flies. We observed no other fishermen fishing caddis!

No comments:

Post a Comment