Saturday, November 15, 2008

Norfork River, AR

TIME: 7:00 AM TO 9:00 AM
WEATHER: PC, Windy, 41 degrees
WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units
LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, upstream of Ackerman Walk-in Access
ROD USED: Winston LT 7'9" 2 wt
FLIES USED: #14 Norfork River Scud
HATCHES: Midges
OTHER: It's been over 2 months since I last fished. We have been on two trips, just returning from the Gulf coast last night. For one of the few times this year, the river is down. I fished my usual haunts, but struggled at the first riffle near Cook's Island, catching only a half dozen small fish. I moved to another riffle, and began catching fish, though certainly not on every cast. I took a dozen, then they just turned off. I moved upstream to another surefire location, downstream from a riffle, but managed to take only another half dozen. The fishing was much slower than expected, and the fish were among the smallest I've caught in several years. The temperature never changed, and the winds blew a constant 10-15 mph. This old body is not used to this, and I left the river after only a couple of hours. However, it was good hooking up again after such a long absence. (Note: The bite all day was extremely light, almost imperceptible, in fact.)

No comments:

Post a Comment