Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday, March 7, 2012—A Caddis Catch and a Pair of Bald Eagles

DATE: Wednesday, March 7, 2012

TIME: 10:45 AM TO 12:30 PM

WEATHER: High 60s, mostly cloudy, strong breeze

WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units

LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, upstream of Ol’ Charlie’s

FLIES USED: #18 olive Norfork River scud, #20 red/silver zebra midge, #16 green caddis

ROD USED: Winston 8’ 6” 5-weight WT Joan Wulff Favorite

HATCHES: Midges, caddis

OTHER: I fished solo. After moderate success a couple of days ago, tried the small scud and red/silver zebra midge combination, and had immediate success, though I again missed fish, but not as many as on Monday.  I fished my way downstream, then switched to the right channel and caught a couple of small fish in the skinny water near Ol’ Charlie’s.  Switching channels again, I fished across from Ol’ Charlie’s, saw a few caddis coming off, and immediately tied on a #16 green-bodied caddis.  Only one fish hit the dry fly, but it was indeed exciting to catch a fish on top.  Working upstream with the caddis, the fish showed little interest.  Almost back to where I started, I notices a pair of bald eagles flying down the river, in a near mating pattern.  They flew low and close, past me, and on downstream.  It’s always exciting to see our national symbol in their natural setting; it’s such a shame that most fishers missed seeing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment