Saturday, July 22, 2006

Saturday, July 22, 2006

DATE: Saturday, July 22, 2006

TIME: 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM

WEATHER: Low 70s

WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units (no generation prior 5 days), with unexpected beginning generation

LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, the Pool to Mill Dam Eddy and back

HATCH: Some few midges

ROD USED: Winston 8’ 6” 5-weight WT Joan Wulff Favorite

FLIES USED: #14 gray Norfork River scud

OTHER: I fished solo, but Wayne came out of the river just as I was coming out. He had been upstream of me. This was my first day back on the Norfork after an absence of 3-1/2 months. I managed to hook several fish, but brought nothing to hand. It demonstrates what a lapse of fishing can do to one's timing on the Norfork. The river was packed, even in areas traditionally not fished. I had one guy casting, not drifting, to within a couple of yards of me. It was all I could do to remain silent. It’s just another reason not to "pack heat" while on the water. I had only been in the water about 30 minutes and generation began; I was skunked for the first time in a long time—a humbling experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment