Friday, September 8, 2006

Friday, September 8, 2006

DATE: Friday, September 8, 2006

TIME: 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM

WEATHER: Low 70s to mid-80s

WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units

LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, McClellan’s Dock to downstream near the “Catch and Release” sign

HATCH: Several midges and a few crane flies

ROD USED: Winston 8’ 6” 5-weight WT Joan Wulff Favorite

FLIES USED: #14 olive mini bugger

OTHER: I fished with Wayne. Fishing and catching were both great today. This was likely the second most fun day of fishing in recent memory (Wayne's catching the 7 straight browns over 20 inches would be number one). We both caught lots of fish. I actually tried keeping up with Wayne and soon found that it was physically impossible—no kidding. Wayne could hook-up, bring the fish in, release it, and begin casting again at a much more efficient rate than I. He managed to catch over a 100 fish today. I did hook a large (guessing over 22 inches) cutthroat, and got the fish in shallow, flat water. I was sure I would land the fish as I had on 5X tippet, a 5-weight rod, and was in a great location. To my surprise, the fish hit the warmer water and immediately broke off at the knot. It sure seems like I'm losing a lot of large fish these days so I will keep taking lessons from Wayne. I did catch a grand slam today. As a note, I was extremely sore from fishing on Wednesday, September 6. Both arms ached from tendonitis and the fall I took on Crooked Creek a couple of weeks ago (I still have a large knot below the right elbow). Anyway, I took a couple of Tylenol and went to bed. It must have been a virus or something. Getting old with all the aches and pains is no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment