Monday, June 30, 2008

Charlie’s Nephew

TIME: 6:15 AM TO 9:15 AM
WEATHER: PC, Low 70s
WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units
LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, 1st and 2nd Islands above Ackerman/Handicap Access, Pool below Island below McClellan’s
FLIES USED: #14 Gray Norfork Scud
ROD USED: 8’ 9” 5 wt Winston LT
HATCHES: Midges, Sulfphurs
OTHER: Fished solo. I managed to get to the river early, but there were already 3 yokels fishing in the vicinity of where I wanted to start. Began fishing below riffle at 2nd island, and caught 6 fish, then moved to 1st island, left bank and caught another half dozen. Moved to right bank and caught a dozen and a half. John Wilson came in bringing a young lady client (about 10 years old) and her father, and asked to fish a respectable distance downstream. I readily agreed and offered the spot I was fishing as well. John and I exchanged observations and flies, and I moved upstream to the pool below the island below McClellan’s. I caught five fish in the pool, including an 18-inch brown that should’ve been 20 inches, but only measured 18; guess the measuring tape shrunk. Left the river at 9:15 AM though still no generation.
TODAY’S RANT: Young teenage man (about 14) had fished in an area near the 1st island, right bank, previous to my fishing there, then moved far upstream, and after several minutes returned fishing off my right shoulder about 15 feet. I was contemplating giving him the spot and setting him up with a Norfork scud, and leaving when he spouted off something about being from Alabama, was Charlie’s (Cook) grand nephew, that this was a riparian river, and implied that I should leave so he could fish. I silently fumed, then said, “Son, you’re on pretty shaky legal grounds regarding riparian rights, and I should know as I helped craft Arkansas water law in the 1980s.” His demeanor changed, he quit fishing and moved back upstream for some adult supervision. (I contracted to University of Arkansas Law School to rewrite and update comprehensive water laws in late 1980s, including testifying for its enactment as an expert witness to the Arkansas legislature.) Too bad, the kid smart-mouthed himself out of a free fly fishing lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment