Thursday, June 5, 2008

Quetico Wilderness, Canada – Day 5

WEATHER: PC, Low 50s, wind, some rain
WATER CONDITIONS: Clear, about 50 degrees
LOCATIONS FISHED: Basswood Lake
FLIES USED: #6 Gray/White Clouser
ROD USED: 9’ 7 wt Orvis
HATCHES: Mayflies
OTHER: Ron and I fished together this morning. For us it was a morning from hell as I forgot the flies, and Ron’s spinning reel “bird nested”. Rather than fight the awfulness, we returned to the campsite, did our morning “chore”, and collected our thoughts and patience. We returned to fishing, but the fish did not cooperate. Ron, paddling from the front seat, “guided” me to the point just west of our campsite, and I caught a 6 lb 10 oz smallmouth on a gray/white Clouser using the 9’ 7 wt Orvis.

It was the hardest fighting smallmouth I ever caught, sounding immediately after the hookset. After measuring and photographing the fish, we released it and returned to the camp.
I paddled Joe in the afternoon, all the way into North Bay and near the portage. He caught his first smallmouth on a fly rod, and proceeded to catch several more. While these were little fish to Joe compared to his 7-1/2 pounder earlier in the week, they provided great fly rod action.

He “guided” me as well, and I caught several.
Ron fished for lake trout with Harry, and caught an 8 or 9 pounder. Harry caught two huge fish, with one going about 18 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment