Saturday, June 21, 2008

Norfork River

TIME: 6:30 AM TO 9:30 AM
WEATHER: PC, Low 70s
WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units
LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, 2nd Island above Ackerman/Handicap Access
FLIES USED: #14 Gray Norfork Scud
ROD USED: 8’ 9” 5 wt Winston LT
HATCHES: Midges
OTHER: Fished solo. Managed to get to the river early, and it was already crowded by the 1st island above Ackerman/Handicap Access. I fished river left at the 2nd island, and caught a lot of fish beginning with the first cast. Immediately, a fellow fishing 300 yards downstream came up and began fishing on top of me. After a few casts, and no strikes, he moved on upstream. Then his friend came in immediately downstream of where I was fishing (maybe 20 to 30 feet), and my drift was almost touching him. I told him he was a little close, and he gave me the lecture about this being his river too. After no fish, he moved downstream, but a local guide who shall remain nameless (he smokes a cigar, his clients NEVER catch many fish, and he’s sort of the laughing stock of good fishers) came in right above me. Holding to his pattern, his client didn’t catch a single fish while I was there. With too many people, I moved upstream above the creek, and began catching fish practically every cast. I hooked one that barely moved, tried to get it on the reel, and it broke me off. It was a very BIG fish. With folks seeing me catch fish, I kept getting surrounded, so surrendered, and called it quits.
Rant for the Day: I am appalled at the lack of ethics in fly fishers and some fly fishing guides. Frankly, I’ve had better luck with “bait chunkers”. I sincerely hope that fly fishing clubs, councils, conclaves, and their leaders take this on as an imperative initiative!

No comments:

Post a Comment