Friday, June 27, 2008

Norfork River

TIME: 6:15 AM TO 8:45 AM
WEATHER: PC, Low 70s to Low 80s
WATER CONDITIONS: 0 units
LOCATIONS FISHED: Norfork River, 1st and 2nd Islands above Ackerman/Handicap Access
FLIES USED: #14 Gray Norfork Scud
ROD USED: 10’ 4 wt Winston WT
HATCHES: Midges
OTHER: Fished solo. I managed to get to the river even earlier than yesterday, but other fishers began showing up about 6:30 AM. Following the same routine as on June 26, I began fishing near the first island and caught fish practically every cast; most were stockers, but did manage a couple of fish that would go 15 – 16 inches. The fellow downstream was not catching fish, so I let him know I was moving and suggested he move to that spot. I moved across the island and continued catching fish almost every cast, including a couple more in the 15 to 16 inch category. Decided to fish upstream, but noticed the guy fishing the first spot was not catching fish. He was rigged with the right tippet, but had a zebra midge with added weight, and two huge strike indicators. Watching him, I noticed he was not detecting the strike. Offering to help, I rigged him up with a Norfork scud and a stick-on indicator. He missed the first couple of fish, but then began catching with regularity. He was from near Oklahoma City, and seemed to be a nice guy. In fact, he offered the spot back to me which was a surprising gesture after last week. There is hope for human kind! As I was leaving, he asked which guides I would recommend. I named John Wilson, Davy Wotten (he and John Wilson are the two best in my opinion, and Davy is the most underrated guide on the river), and John Gulley, as these are the folks I would hire for the Norfork or White Rivers. Tom and Jeff Hawthorne are unequaled on the Little Red River. While walking upstream, another guy fishing the spot I had just vacated across the island offered the spot back—two in a row—but I thanked him for asking and declined.

I caught four fish below the riffle at the 2nd island, but it was not easy. I then moved upstream above the creek, but struggled, catching only 3 fish, and missing a bunch. Thinking the hook gap had opened (my excuse for missing fish), I replaced the hook , but noticed an elevated sound from the upstream riffle and a subtle difference in the water. Called generation and two had been turned on 45 minutes previously. High tailed it out of the river, having had a very good early morning, and an OK late morning. Still, all in all, I managed to catch over 3 dozen fish, and discovered that some people are still very courteous and friendly (didn’t have any fly by night guides crowding me). It helped to restore my confidence in fly fishers.

By the way, I was in need of some fly tying materials (yeah, I had to convince Kay of that, too) and shopped around locally to no avail. Called Tom at Ozark Angler and he had exactly what I needed (wished I still worked there). Though he is in Little Rock, AR, don’t hesitate to call Ozark Angler and order you fly fishing and fly tying stuff. He can ship the same day. The number is (501) 225-6504.

No comments:

Post a Comment